Vision for international relations
International relations are an essential lever for the influence and development of cities like Québec. They serve to promote our cultural, tourist, economic and scientific assets, as well as our quality of life, and to share our expertise and experience.
International relations have direct benefits for citizens. They showcase the city and the institutions and businesses that make it flourish. They enable the municipal government to make informed decisions and improve its approaches and services. They make it easier to recruit talented people who strengthen and enrich the labour pool and the community at large and encourage regional partners to work hand in hand and take a more strategic and collaborative approach.
Through its international relations, a strategic lever for development, Québec City bolsters its influence and attractiveness while learning from other cities around the world for the benefit of its citizens and its community.
Our three strategic priorities
As a city with a sterling reputation and innumerable strengths, Québec must leverage every available channel and network to showcase everything it has to offer. It must stand alongside its partners to show strong leadership and champion cultural and economic diplomacy.
Promote and create new opportunities for:
- Québec’s businesses, higher learning institutions, and visionary entrepreneurs and scientists who are eager to develop new markets for their products, services, and ideas
- Local creators and cultural industries that export outstanding French-language content and products
- Our prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site and Creative City of Literature designations and our world-class tourism offering, which we want to be more sustainable and diversified.
Cities around the world all face the same kinds of challenges and must all be part of the solution. However, they have limited resources to deal with increasingly complex and pressing challenges, such as adapting to climate change, ensuring sustainable mobility and transportation, or maintaining social cohesion. Cities must work together—as they do not have the time and the resources to reinvent the wheel and tackle these issues alone. Cities have a duty to inspire and be inspired to innovate.
- Stay abreast of innovations and learn from the successes and mistakes of other cities that are also working to optimize infrastructure, programs, and services to make them more sustainable and accessible
- Show solidarity by sharing our best practices and experiences with cities and partners who are also eager to learn from our successes and lessons
- Pool our resources and expertise to codevelop and pilot new approaches for the benefit of citizens.
With an economy and quality of life that are the envy of many other cities, Québec must leverage every tool and resource at its disposal to continue to thrive. We want to make additional efforts with our partners on the ground to ensure the economic prosperity necessary to maintain the quality of life and standard of living of our citizens.
Attract and retain:
- A workforce that contributes to the vibrancy of our businesses and the sustainable growth of the regional economy
- Companies and talents that bolster our leadership in areas where our region excels and stands out in the knowledge economy
- International organizations and events that will in turn contribute to Québec’s influence, attractiveness, and economic vitality