COVID-19 - Suivez l'état de situation concernant les services municipaux et les consignes aux citoyens.
Home / Tourists / Attractions / Churches
In 1633, Samuel de Champlain had a modest chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary
built on the grounds where Basilique-Cathédrale Notre-Dame now stands. The cathedral that stands on the property today is the result of
nearly 350 years of construction, and was rebuilt on three occasions due to
fire. The interior is decorated with numerous impressive works of art such
as an Episcopal throne canopy, stained glass, paintings, sculptures, and a
sanctuary lamp presented to Monseigneur de Laval by
Louis XIV. The governors of New France and most of Québec City’s bishops are
entombed in the cathedral’s crypt.
20, rue De Buade
Designed by the famous architect François Baillairgé, Chapelle des Jésuites was built in 1817. It is home to a number of
invaluable pieces of religious art: a high altar designed by Eugène Taché, two statues believed to have been sculpted by Pierre-Noël Levasseur in 1750, two sculptures by Louis Jobin, and a Stations of the Cross sculpture by Médard Bourgault.
20, rue Dauphine
Chapelle des Ursulines’ interior remains the same today
as it was upon completion in 1723. French Regime–era sculptures and 17th and
18th century paintings decorating the nave make for a truly unique
environment. Marie de l’Incarnation, founder of the
Québec City Ursuline congregation, is entombed in the chapel walls.
12, rue Donnacona
Phone : 418 694-9616
Built in 1688 on the L'Abitation (where Québec City was
founded), Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires is named
for two events: the French military victory over troops led by the English
Admiral Phipps in 1690, and the defeat of Admiral Walker’s fleet 21 years
later. The church was rebuilt twice after burning down during the bombings
of 1759. Inside, an ex-voto forms a scaled-down model of the Brézé, the ship that brought the Marquis de Tracy and soldiers from the
Carignan Regiment to New France in 1664. Each January 3, dinner rolls are
blessed in celebration of Saint Geneviève, patron
saint of Paris.
32, rue Sous-le-Fort
Phone : 418 692-1650
Église Saint-Charles-Borromée was built over a six-year
period, from 1827–1833. The building marries classical, neoclassical, and
Palladian architecture, and is among the province’s religious heritage
Sanctuaire Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Cœur, a Catholic chapel,
was built in 1910 to honor the Virgin Mary. The sanctuary is known for its
stained glass windows, which are regarded as neo-Gothic masterpieces. The
marble slabs covering its walls are reminiscent of those in many European
71, rue Sainte-Ursule
Phone : 418 692-3787
The first Presbyterians to land in Québec were Scottish troops who arrived
with General Wolfe’s army in 1759. St. Andrew’s gave its first service in
1810. Its stained glass windows and Casavant organ are well worth a visit.
5, rue Cook
Phone : 418 694-1347
For more information on tourist attractions in Québec
City and its surrounding areas, visit the Québec City Tourism website.
Share this page :